- B.S Honors
- Student's Life
BS HOME ECONOMICS: (Four-Year Program)
The College of Home Economics for the first time designed and is offering admissions in BS program The program will be implemented in accordance with the directives of the Higher Education Commission .The BS program is a four-year program comprising of eight semesters of two per year.
Admission to BS Home Economics
Students will be eligible for admission after F.A/F.Sc. First four semesters will cover compulsory and foundation courses, while from the fifth semester students will have the option of selecting from five fields, i.e. Art and Design, Human Development and Family Studies, Human Nutrition Sciences, Resource and Facility Management, and Textile and Clothing.
The BS program will be accommodated within the College’s infrastructure. Enrollment of students is expected in large number keeping in view that the program is at par with modern mode of education and requirements. After completion of BS degree, the students will be eligible for MS degree, to be completed in one and a half year duration. Hence, the students will become academically compatible with foreign standards.
The BS Home Economics program aims at:
• Enabling the students to learn a wide variety of courses in their fields.
• Providing specialized fields under the umbrella of Home Economics.
• Enabling the students to become academically compatible with foreign standards.
Salient Features of BS Home Economics Curriculum:
1. The curriculum has been designed for the semester system of examination.
2. Candidates who have passed the F.A/F.Sc. (Home Economics), F.Sc. (Pre-Medical), F.Sc. (Pre-Engineering) or equivalent exam would be eligible to get admission in the four year BS program.
3. This curriculum is designed to fulfill the requirements for four year BS Home Economics designed at National Curriculum Revision Committee, of HEC in Lahore.
4. This curriculum gives the option for specialization in any of the five areas of pre-designed courses of Home Economics.
5. The first two years include all the Compulsory, Foundation and General courses. The Majors and Electives, and General courses are placed in the last two years of BS Program. In order to provide more focused training in relevant professions. Students can choose any one field from the five areas and would study all the major and selected Elective and Major courses from the relevant area. In addition to being trained as teachers and researchers, all the students are also trained to work in other relevant professions (examples given below)
Areas of Specialization Area Specific Relevant Professions
a. Art and Design: Consumer products Designers, Colour Consultants, Art and Design Educators
b. Human Development and Family Studies: Early Childhood Educators, Family Counselors, Consultants for Special Education, Researchers, Gerontologist, Maternal and Child Health Care workers ,Human Service Workers and NGO’s. etc.
c. Human Nutrition Sciences: Dietitians, Public Health Nutritionists, Food Quality Control Managers, Nutrition Counselors, Research Workers, Maternal and Child Health Care workers.
d. Resource and Facility Management: Housekeeping Managers for Hotels, Hospitals, Lodges: Events and Project Managers, Program Managers for Rural Support and Education Extension Programs, NGO’s and Banks, etc.
e. Textiles and Clothing: Quality Control Consultants for Textiles and Clothing, Consumer Products Designers, Designers and Merchandisers for Apparel and Textile Industry.
STANDARDIZED TEMPLATE / SCHEME OF STUDIES FOR FOUR-YEAR INTEGRATED CURRICULA FOR BACHELOR DEGREE IN BASIC, SOCIAL, NATURAL AND APPLIED SCIENCES
Sr. Categories No. of courses Credit Hours
1. Compulsory Requirement (No Choice) 8 22
2. General Courses to be chosen from other departments 8 24
3. Discipline Specific Foundation Courses 10 30
4. Major Courses including Research Project / Internship 16 48
5. Electives within the Major 4 12
6. Seminar 1 2
Total 4 138
Total numbers of Credit Hours 138
Duration 4 years
Semester duration 16-18 weeks
Course Load per Semester 15-18 Cr hr’s
Number of courses per semester 4-6 (not more than 3
Lab / practical courses)
SCHEME OF STUDIES OF FOUR YEAR INTEGRATED COURSE
BS HOME ECONOMICS
Scheme of Studies for Four Year Integrated BS Home Economics with specialization in any one of 5 areas
HE-311 English-I 3CR
HE-312 Pakistan Studies 2CR
HE-313 Statistics-I 3(2+1)CR
HE-314 Chemistry 3CR
HE-315 Art and Design-I 3(2+1)CR
HE-316 Clothing and Consumer Education 3(2+1)CR
Semester-I Total Cr Hr’s 17
HE-321 English-II 3CR
HE-322 Statistics-II 3(2+1)CR
HE-323 Physiology and Microbiology 3CR
HE-324 Psychology 3CR
HE-325 Basic Nutrition 3(2+1)CR
HE-326 Home Management 3(2+1)CR
Semester-II Total Cr Hr’s 18
HE-431 English-III 3CR
HE-432 Introduction to Computers 3(2+1)CR
HE-433 Fundamentals of Economics 3CR
HE-434 Human Development 3(2+1)CR
HE-435 Advanced Clothing 3(2+1)CR
HE-436 Art and Design –II 3(2+1)CR
Semester-III Total Cr Hr’s 18
HE-441 Islamic Studies 2CR
HE-442 Bio-Chemistry 3(2+1)CR
HE-443 Web Designing 3(2+1)CR
HE-444 Essentials of Management 3CR
HE-445 Observation And Experience With Young Children 3CR
HE-446 Meal Management 3(2+1)CR
HE-447 Management of Family Affairs 3(2+1)CR
Semester-IV Total Cr Hr’s 17
Four Semester Total 70
Note: A Department will offer Two General courses subject to the requirement of the department