- B.S Honors
- Student's Life
The Department of Textiles and Fashion Designing is intended to produce all round citizens who can design, construct and repair garments in order to solve daily problems by being creative and prepare for creative and aesthetic awareness, stimulating an enjoyment in the creative use of textiles. The Textiles and Clothing domain of Home Economics Programs was originally intended to train the students for positive contributions in the field of Textiles, Clothing and Fashion Designing by studying different fabric types, their construction methods and the proper ways to care for the textile material. Furthermore, it provides sound knowledge about basic textile chemistry, dyeing, printing and finishing techniques with a more formal understanding of the textile industry regarding quality testing of textile materials. The department focuses on the artistic abilities in the field of garment making, through basic & advanced sewing skills, draping techniques that are especially needed in fashion designing, its social implications, concerns for the consumer, as well as actual clothing construction.
As the life style of families is changing very rapidly due to the drastic influence of media, we are entering in robotic age by the development in technology. Worldwide communication makes it easier to follow other cultures. As Home economist we should go for a few changes. The subject matter should be based on the development of eco-friendly textile products which affect human life efficiently satisfying the advanced expectations of modern lifestyle. Four different categories of development have to be met when putting in practice new development strategies such as producing textile materials which are;
• safe and reliable,
• supporting a higher quality of life
• support recyclable materials
• support energy savings in harmony with the environment
Enrich young women in the field of Textiles and Fashion Designing
The Department of Textiles & Fashion Designing aims at teaching the various aspects of clothing and textile technology, fabric manufacture and performance, quality control of textile products, advanced sewing techniques, principles of designs, personal grooming and fashion designing.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• To familiarize the students with the principles of design, selecting clothes for family members, personal grooming etc.
• Further it includes the wardrobe planning for various family members and factors influencing clothing needs of the family.
• Gives information about cultural and historical influences on clothing, the evolution of textiles and garment making.
• To educate about the problems, rights and responsibilities as a consumer of goods and services.
• An introduction to sewing is given to supplement the construction techniques. Furthermore, advanced sewing skills are taught and demonstrated through draping methods.
• Help to familiarize with the technical background as well as creative skills in the field of textile designing.
• To create artistic ability in the field of garment making especially needed in fashion designing.
• To introduce all the areas of textiles, including knowledge about fiber, yarn and fabric processing.
• Facts about textiles gives background knowledge needed to understand fabric performance, so it helps the students in learning about the fiber, yarn and fabric testing methods on various instruments.
• To explain the methods of fabric construction, finishing, dying and printing techniques, as well as introduction of stain removal techniques.
• To describe about the simplified yet fairly detailed explanation of the molecular structure of various fibers
EXPECTED PROFESSIONAL OUTCOMES
• Textile Designers (dyeing and printing sections).
• Can work in testing laboratories of Textile Industry to control, maintain or improve the quality of the textile products.
• Textile Converters.
• Textile Marketers.
• Fashion Designers.
• Fashion Illustrators.
• Garment Merchandisers and Promoters.
• Display Directors.
• Polymer Scientist
• Production Managers
• Textile chemist
• Dyeing & Printing experts Quality control Experts
• Costume Designer
• Fashion Journalist
• Fashion Marketer
• Fashion Buyer
• Textile Researchers and Developers.
• Boutiques Owners.
• Directors of Vocational and Social Institutes.